6.7.10

All That's In-Between


Leonard Cohen amends everyday life
into harmonized text of gold.

Every Pebble

Every pebble dreams of itself
Every leaf has a scheme
The sun is by desire bound
to travel down a beam
Defeated still I cannot yield
my heart to blessed peace
because I dream that there are chains
I dream there is release

I told this to the prisoner
who killed the man I hate
I told it to the miner
who dug up my golden plate
Therefore do I live in hell
For dreaming that hell is
the distance that I dare to put
between my hand and his

I dreamed my body yesternight
I dreamed the universe
I dreamed I dreamed a thousand years
in order to rehearse
the seven days of wonderment
when, drawn from the mist
I was clothed in nakedness
and suffered to exist

I dreamed that I was given song
to be my early proof
that my dwelling place with you
has neither ground nor roof
nor windows to look out of, Lord,
nor mirrors to look in
nor singing to be out of it
nor dying to begin

O child this is your human dream
this is your human sleep
and do not strive so hard to climb
from what is sound and deep
I love the dream that you've begun
beneath my evergreen
I love the pebble and the sun
and all that's in-between

And for this conversation
in the early morning light
I offer up these shabby days
that fray before your sight
Nor can I know how many more
will pass ere I'm unstrung
and all that left this song you placed
upon your creature's tongue.

– Leonard Cohen

No comments: