21.9.10

The Innocence Of The Scene


While out walking on this beautiful day,
attached to my own venerable solitude,
I glimpsed a gorgeous autumn leaf,
finding ease and rest by the side of the curb.

Looking up, I spotted the tree from which it fell
and noticed yet another leaf twirling, then floating
with such a sleepy, effortless tranquility, down toward me,
as though lullabied by the wind’s sweeping breeziness.

Sadly, I could not hear its primal cry
and the innocence of the scene became 
all the more affecting as the leaf, 
by force of nature, pirouetted to the ground.

Newly severed, it lay limpid and mute,
yet its plume of flame continued to blaze
with such splendour and acute simplicity,
even though one day, it would vanish into nothingness.

The falling of a leaf is a simple, common occurence,
yet I am constantly filled with overwhelming wonder
as the beloved, sometimes ignored background
of this earth awakens me to its serendipitous circumstances.

No comments: