21.10.10

Yesterday's Images


Stooping to quench my thirst
on this hot autumn day,
I began, in earnest,
to pull yesterday's images
from the crest of my thoughts.

Without warning,
I was side-swiped
by a blinding free-fall of light, 
flaring across the left side
of my profile.

Squinting sporadically
against this unwarranted glare,
I strained to catch a distant glimpse
of the most beautiful image,
openly peering into
the depth of my soul.

In this distance, 
I could sense the presence
of a higher voice trying
desperately to awaken my attention, 
while the image embraced me
within the cloak of its protection.

Suddenly, 
the voice cried out
a challenge…

It called on me
to rise early tomorrow,
to bear witness
to the day
set before me.


Experience everything,
the voice echoed…

A gift? 

Perhaps.

Offered
at that precise moment
when a plethora
of different emotions
pulsed inside, 
instilling a strong
melancholic ache,
as reflected in my mood.

Standing outside,
facing today,
I look inward,
imagining nothing.

It is only
in the metrics
of this season
that I am
immersed
and therefore,
blessed.

In the silence
of this moment.
my thirst is slaked.

A gift perhaps.

No comments: