13.6.11

I Stopped To Listen



I stopped to listen, but he did not come. 
I begain again with a sense of loss. 
As this sense deepened I heard him again. 
I stopped stopping and I stopped starting, 
and I allowed myself to be crushed by ignorance. 
This was a strategy, and didn't work at all. 
Much time, years were wasted in such a minor mode. 
I bargain now. I offer buttons for his love. 
I beg for mercy. Slowly he yields. 
Haltingly he moves toward his throne. 
Reluctantly the angels grant to one another permission to sing. 
In a transition so delicate it cannot be marked, 
the court is established on beams of golden symmetry, 
and once again I am a singer in the lower choirs, 
born fifty years ago to raise my voice this high, and no higher.

From The Book of Mercy ~ Leonard Cohen

No comments: