30.9.11

I Decided On The Spot



THIS IS WHERE WE LIVE

I am one of those that live 
in the middle of the sea and close to the twilight 
a little beyond those stones. 

When I came 
and saw what was happening 
I decided on the spot. 

The day had spread itself 
and everything was light 
and the sea was beating 
like a salty lion, 
many-handed. 

All that deserted space was singing 
and I, lost and awed, 
looking toward the silence, 
opened my mouth and said: 
"Mother of the foam, 
expansive solitude, 
here I will begin my own rejoicing, 
my particular poetry." 

From then on I was never 
let down by a single wave. 
I always found the flavour of the sky 
in the water, in the earth, 
and the wood and the sea burned together 
through the lonely winters. 

I am grateful to the earth 
for having waited 
for me 
when sky and sea came together 
like two lips touching; 
for that's no small thing, no? - 
to have lived 
through one solitude to arrive at another, 
to feel oneself many things and recover wholeness. 

I love all the things there are, 
and of all fires 
love is the only inexhaustible one; 
and that's why I go from life to life, 
from guitar to guitar, 
and I have no fear 
of light or of shade 
and almost being earth myself, 
I spoon away at infinity. 

So no one can ever fail 
to find my doorless numberless house - 
there between dark stones, 
facing the flash 
of the violent salt, 
there we live, my woman and I, 
there we take root, 
Grant us help then. 
Help us to be more of the earth each day! 
Help us to be 
more the sacred foam, 
more the swish of the wave!

~ Pablo Neruda 

No comments: