27.12.11

Ever So Gently


Every moment and every event of every man's life
on earth plants something in his soul.

~ Thomas Merton

. . . . .

How these words found you I don't know, 
forgive me – I cannot capture the current moment
as it speaks to me of things I cannot translate.

. . . . .

The old year fainting away
here in the breath of winter
and with it a restless calm
that cannot be stayed.

Hour by hour this sense of space
exalted by time – the whole world
around it moves, but doesn't move.

Everything that was said is reread again
by another wonderful kind of mind.

Observable moments segue into black
on white, elucidation's adamantly tumbling
there in the turning mind, finding their method, 
stretched far beyond their original design.

With an optimistic eagerness here in this late afternoon
the eyes make no effort toward conversation as the mind
loafs ever so gently in the white of the snow – and is gone…


No comments: