11.5.12

I Tried To Catch It As It Fell


The darkness – opening in the shape of a poem
there in his room papered in song that speaks 
 of a life and a mind still whet with words.


. . . . .

Pausing at a window's edge,
we eye, at will, his heart and soul
lit up by old and amorous ideas.
Flecks of wisdom built upon
yesterday's unresolved derivatives
are offered as strands of prayer –
an incandescent language that
deeply engages the body, the soul.
We probe its darkness for signs,
knowing whoever wants in –
in praise of its beautiful mystery,
will get in, to embrace his dark,
habitually punctuated by light. 

. . . . .

I used to love the rainbow
And I used to love the view
I love the early morning
I pretend that it was new
But I caught the darkness
And I got it worse than you

I caught the darkness
I caught the darkness
It was drinking from your cup
I said is this contagious?
You said "Just drink it up"

~ Leonard Cohen 
(Lines from Darkness/Old Ideas)

No comments: