25.10.12

The Heart, A Rage Of Directions




…but being your own story
means you can always choose the tone. 
It also means that you can invent the language
to say who are you and what you mean.

– Toni Morrison 

. . . . .

I lost my way, I forgot

I lost my way, I forgot to call on your name. The raw heart beat against the world, and the tears were for my lost victory. But you are here. You have always been here. The world is all forgetting, and the heart is a rage of directions, but your name unifies the heart, and the world is lifted into its place. Blessed is the one who waits in the traveller's heart for his turning.

– Leonard Cohen, from Book of Mercy

. . . . .

I would hurls words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if 
an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, 
to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all, 
to keep alive in our hearts a sense of the inexpressibly human.

– Richard Wright


No comments: